Sunday, April 18, 2010

Letter to a friend: Part III

The following chapter discussed interview essentials. The most important thing to focus on during an interview is your attitude and enthusiasm. You can demonstrate a positive attitude through your appearance, body language, and how you speak. Nonverbal communication can actually mean more than your verbal communication during your interview. For example, you could say all the right things, but if you say them unenthusiastically, arrogantly, or with too much nervousness in your voice, your message won’t be well received.

As much as I hate to admit it, you will be judged on your appearance. But you don’t have to be a super model to land the job! Instead, you must look clean, fresh, and very professional. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed, and dressing conservatively is always the safest route.

One way to ensure that you will have something meaningful, worthwhile, and positive to say in the interview setting is to create your own “60- Second Commercial.” Your commercial will include short phrases about your qualifications (kind of like the “why” a product is good in a commercial). These could include your GPA (if it’s a good one), what you’re a member of, and any computer programs you’re familiar with.

You should include your target job position and employer (kind of like the brand that is promoted in the commercial). Employers will like to hear you speak as if you’ve already accepted their position and have joined their team. Next, you should briefly summarize your education and training, in addition to job skills and those transferable competencies you’ve listed before. This could include any classes you’ve taken that relate directly to the job, examples of leadership ability, and examples of self-motivation.

Another thing to include is a “Proof of Benefits Provided”. This is where you get to brag upon past accomplishments. Tell the employer things you actually did that made a difference. For example, you could tell them about a committee you created, a team you helped organize, or what you accomplished as part of a group.

One chapter was dedicated to breaking down different types of interview styles and questions. Knowing ahead of time what kind of interview to expect can help you prepare. A structural interview includes a predetermined set of questions and records responses on a checklist. It focuses mainly on factual information. A screening interview is used to screen out those who do not have the basic qualifications for the job. A behavioral interview is when the interviewer asks questions that force the applicant to give specific examples of how they have successfully used skills needed for the job. You also may be interviewed by a panel or a board, where you speak with more than one person at the same time. Each person on the board will probably have a different aspect of you to focus on.

Behavioral interviews are pretty common, so it’s wise to keep a list of accomplishments and examples of how you handled situations well. Also, when answering questions such as “what are your weaknesses”, never reply defensively. Instead, reply with optimism and in a way that shows you’re working on those weaknesses.

Here are some examples of questions you may be asked, and appropriate responses:

What is your greatest weakness?

answer: My weakest area is math, but I have taken some courses such as Concepts of Mathematics, Intro to Accounting, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Intro to Statistics to become more proficient in this area.


Why do you want to leave your current job?

answer: I am seeking a new challenge to begin a new chapter in my life.



Do you think of yourself as a team player? Give examples.

answer: Yes, definitely. I have played defense and midfield in lacrosse for the past 6 years. These positions rarely put a point on the board. However, we play an enormous behind the scenes role, and we have ultimately won many games for our team. Also, I have worked in teams in academics. Our class was assigned a huge group project for our Problems in Society class. Five of us worked together to create an aesthetically pleasing and meaningful collage on child abuse. Additionally, we each had to prepare a 3-5 minute speech on a particular aspect of child abuse. We needed to work together to make sure there was no overlap in our speeches, and that each person’s speech adequately represented a portion of the collage. We received one of the highest grades in the class.


Under what management style do you work most productively?

answer: I can be productive under any kind of management. However, I most appreciate managing styles where lines of open and honest communication are encouraged.



What is important to you in a company?

Integrity and honesty are very important to me in a company. A policy of striving for the very best for the customer. A willingness to communicate and a willingness to gladly fix any issues that occurred the first time.



What have you accomplished that demonstrates your initiative?

I have worked relentlessly in the classroom, and outside of it, to always achieve high academically. I have maintained 3 semesters as a 4.0 student. I have been inducted into several honor societies. I have achieved these things while self-financing my tuition, working a part time job, and being a member of the club lacrosse team.



How would you describe yourself?

I am busy. I like to get into everything. I am very good at following directions and carrying out tasks, but I’m also a thinker. I’m a confident, positive, outgoing individual. I like meeting new people and learning about new things.



What rewards do you look for in your career?

Answer: Appreciation from my coworkers and management.


What kinds of decisions are most difficult for you?

Answer: Decisions that are going to personally let down a group of coworkers or constituents. Business is business, and I can be very objective when making decisions. However, I am a very compassionate individual, and decisions that are going to severely negatively impact a group of constituents can be morally difficult for me to make. I strive to pick the best choice for all involved.

I hope this will give you a good example of how to deal with those tough to answer questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment