I'll focus first on my internship. First and foremost, I have learned how to use the tools I often take for granted and actually put them to good use. For instance, while I typically use Facebook, Twitter, and the Internet as a whole just for fun and recreation, much more can be done with the information that is flowing around. I have learned to use two programs, Radian6 and Vocus, that can probe the Internet for the information you need in just a matter of seconds. I have learned the practical uses of sites and programs such as TweepSearch, Facebook Insights, and NetNewsWire. I've become familiar with SocialCast and DropBox, WordPress and CoTweet.
I have learned to glean for the most important information with minimal searching. I have come to be familiar with key words for several of our clients, and the more I learn about the topics, the easier it becomes. Just through the nature of my business, I have learned a great deal about property taxes and the great lengths one must go through to appeal them, about entrepreneurship (including how to spell it correctly), about car dealerships, and about the elder care industry.
I have also learned a few things about how to handle myself in a business-like setting.
1.) I have always thought the way to peoples' hearts was just to be real with them. This is not always the case. Unless you are completely professional, do not be completely real with them.
2.) Do NOT bring up anything you do that may be considered unprofessional. Even if it's funny.
3.) Lay off the jokes until people understand you.
4.) When you're the newbie, take a moment to consider what you are about to say or ask so you don't say or ask something stupid, irrelevant, or that has already been explained to you.
5.) "The Office" is in no way similar to how a real office works. Huge let down, but probably beneficial for the economy.
I say all this, not because people have been unwelcoming, but because I have truly had a handful of foot-in-mouth moments since my arrival. I chalk it up to inexperience, my small town mindset, and my rather immature sense of humor. Nothing has been catastrophic. But I'm glad I'm learning all this now.
Now, on to what else I'm learning. You know, about life and stuff. I have learned two important things thus far.
1.) Living with another family is really, really, fun. If you ever have the chance to do so, take that chance. I have been having a wonderful time with Rod, Cindy, Abby and Amelia! Abby and Amelia are like the younger sisters I've never had, and watching them interact (as well as my own interaction with them) leads me to believe that every girl deserves a sister. Being with a family that isn't your own allows you to behave as a family member that doesn't have any negative past. No bad memories of getting in trouble or anything like that. It makes for very peaceful living.
2.) I'm learning that I'm more relationship-oriented than career-oriented. Now, I don't think I'll be taking the Mommy Track any time soon, but I travelled 3000 miles to do a summer job and yet my heart is elsewhere. Don't get me wrong. I want to learn as much as I can while I'm out here, do a good job, and gain a rich and valuable experience. But maybe I'm not as grown up as I thought. My mind is very much still yearning for a carefree, sunny summer with good times and the best of friends. I may have been mistaken when I assumed I was above having another responsibility free summer. My brain is proud of myself for going the route I have gone, but my heart is a little bummed.
These past three weeks have been a blast. I've learned a ton about the Social Media Marketing industry, I've learned to make three new dishes (Squash Casserole, Apple Pie, and my mother's WORLD FAMOUS Zucchini Pie), I have been more diligent about exercise (my room has an elliptical in it, it sits there and stares at me until I use it), and I have been fortunate enough to visit the beautiful Lake Chelan, my favorite place in the world. Things are going absolutely peachy. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment