Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 2- Wednesday May 12, 2010

"Today was my first full day as a West Coaster. This morning, I woke up and swaggered downstairs to be greeted by Chloe, my host family's dog. As I enjoyed a bowl of cereal, I did something I had wanted to do for a very long time.

I made a grocery list.

My passion for grocery lists began in my late high school years. This is when I realized that white bread, prepackaged lunch meat, and hostess products weren't the epitome of healthy. This was also around the same time I uncovered my passion for spicy, flavorful, and organic foods. No matter how much I begged, mom wouldn't buy Naked juice. Or an assortment of hot peppers to chop up into a deliciously fun stir-fry. Or flax and grain bread that actually has some nutrition to it.

Probably the thing I've done to anger my mother the most- to make her more mad than my piercings, my tattoo, and my participation in premarital sex- has been to become a pescatarian. This means I have stopped eating mammals and poultry. Although I have done this for a variety of reasons, it is primarily for my health. But talking to my mother would lead you to believe that my main reason behind forgoing meat has been to undermine all she has done to raise me right these past 20 years. She acts surprised, then disappointed when I politely decline her meatloaf and chili. "Yes, mom, I am aware it is delicious but it is still made of dead animals."

But today was the day I could choose for myself. With a pen and pad in front of me, I wasn't sure where to begin. But a list was compiled. I bought black beans, canned salmon, a half gallon of Naked Blue Machine, protein enriched bread, crab bisque (yum!), lettuce, onion, tomatoes, spinach, corn, veggie burgers, and minestrone! Today, I felt like I truly took charge of my diet. And boy was it good.

Maybe you think it's silly that the most exciting, empowering part of my 1st day as a West Coaster was grocery shopping. But I don't care. I've been waiting for this for a very, very long time."

2 comments:

  1. Well, congrats on the grocery list...it really sounds like it made your day (and the ingredients sounded dee-lish!) We still miss our little west coaster, but I know you are going to have the time of your life out there. Blog more soon! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love that you're trying out life as a veggie! Life is about experiencing, and I, for one, am really glad for my 2.5 years without meat. It made me appreciate the preciousness of life and the value of slow, sustainable agriculture.
    I am so glad you called me for my input on your cheese purchase, and I hope you were quite satisfied with the fresh mozzarella--i'm sure you were--it rarely disappoints!
    Wow Rach! It's almost Monday! I'm sooo excited for you! I will be reading your blog religiously and trying to live your wonderful adventure vicariously through your posts. Haha! I love you so much! <3Lolo

    ReplyDelete