Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sleepless in Seattle- Literally.

Normally, I like to talk about things in chronological order. I keep a list of everything I've done, and then blog about it, in chunks of weeks at a time. Tonight, that is not an option. All my notes are on some plane right now, heading toward Chicago. I'm not going there. I'm going to Denver. My bags will make it to Pittsburgh eventually I guess. They better. My brand new Magic Bullet is in there. So is all the rest of my personal belongings.

I have had the worst experience with United Airlines. Three weeks ago, I changed my flight from Tuesday the 27th to Friday the 23rd. It took a long time and $150, but I did it.

Then today, I went to do my e-check in, only to find that there was no sort of confirmation on my ticket. So I had another phone call, this one 40 minutes long, to solve the problem. Apparently the gentleman from 3 weeks ago never processed my credit card transaction, or updated the online itinerary.

So I got my two bags checked and my boarding pass printed. The plan is to go from Seattle to Chicago to Pittsburgh.

Then I get to SeaTac, and my flight is delayed an hour and a half. Just enough to miss my connecting flight to Pittsburgh by 15 minutes.

The first guy I talk to, he is really unhelpful. I almost feel like he's laughing at my misfortune. He informs me that I will have a confirmed seat on a flight leaving Chicago at 5 pm tomorrow. This means no getting to Pittsburgh until about 9 pm tomorrow night. This means a 7 hour trip is turning into a 24 hour affair.

I accepted this sad fate and sat down. I talked to a lady with an adorable Yorkie for about two hours. She is a retired school teacher, and specializes in kids with autism. I believe I was supposed to meet her tonight. I also have a passion for dogs and autism awareness. She has a house on the Oregon coast, and she is headed to St. Louis to visit her mother. She lives in Ohio these days. She was nice as could be. So talkative and positive. Glad to have met her.

I decided to give another, nicer seeming man a try. This guy was able to get me to Pittsburgh by 3 pm tomorrow. The only downside is I'm stuck at SeaTac until 530 AM. Then I will head to Denver, and on to Pittsburgh from there.

The second man was very helpful. He even gave me $150 to use toward a future United flight. I am very unsure of whether I will ever fly with them again. I probably won't TRY to, but if it happens to be convenient, I suppose it will come in handy.

I wish this could have gone more smoothly. All I have wanted for weeks and weeks is to be with my family, friends, and my man! I was looking forward to a fun Saturday with a big lunch with my family at my grandma's or something. But I guess we'll have to move it to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment