Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Be Good to Your Body Today

The holidays have faded, and work is back to usual. Today, the calendar says that half of January has already passed. That means that just over 4% of 2014 is already nothing but a memory.

I've spent two of these precious days with terrible hangovers. Non-work-interfering hangovers, mind you, but still unacceptable. Curbing my drinking wasn't originally a 2014 resolution, but I think it's time to wave the white flag of surrender to the fact that yes, I am growing older, and yes, my body cannot bounce back like it did during the days of collegiate lacrosse parties and 21st birthday bashes. This may be the first time my body has surpassed my mind in the "grown up" department, which is mildly terrifying.

But the clock cannot reverse. My dark hair will fade to grey. My laugh lines will become crow's feet. Skin will sag. Womp. But surrendering to the steady march of physical aging doesn't mean we are defeated. By living in the moment and being good to ourselves, we can maintain positive outlooks and healthy lives.

Even though I've been at it for nearly two years, I still say that I am "adjusting" to working life. Maybe you never quit adjusting. In today's job market, you never want to seem ungrateful for full-time employment, the 9 to 5 grind. However, it takes its toll. The monotony, the sedentary nature of a desk job, it can be as painful to the mind as it is easy on the body. The paycheck is worth it, everyone searching for a job says, and for the most part I agree- so long as your mental and emotional well-being remain in tact.

As a person prone to anxiety and depression, I had a deep struggle with this a little over a year ago. Sometimes, I still have mini struggles now and then. But what lifted me up and continues to keep me afloat are actions that help me live in the moment (which does a great deal for your sense of appreciation and gratitude) and being good to myself.

In order to live in the moment, I try to do something very intentionally - like doing a normal or overlooked task very deliberately or deciding to put others first. For example, sometimes my cat wants attention but I'm busy with homework, cleaning, or trying to get dinner ready. So sometimes I will set everything aside to give her love and attention until SHE is done- not when I WANT to be done. In the search to fulfill all my wants and needs, sometimes I forget how wonderful it is to fulfill the needs of others.

Another example is daily prayer. Although for most of the days of my life I have given God a shoutout or quick prayer,  I have found that I enjoy reciting one particular prayer. I wrote it myself - it is not very long and it addresses exactly what I want to address with God in my life. It allows me the chance to deliberately recognize all the things that are most important to me, that I need prayer for every day. By writing it down and reading it and meditating on it (which I do almost daily) it helps me focus and realize the gratitude I ought to constantly feel.

While I do so-so at living in the moment, I have made much stronger efforts in the department of "being good to myself." But I'm still so far from where I want to be (see hangover reference above). In the past year, I've reintroduced myself to vigorous exercise, healthy food substitutions, and have given up some habits that once held me back. In the new year, I hope to increase my water intake, and cut back on alcohol and eating out.

My newest effort has been quite, quite simple, but very effective (so far, anyway.) I changed the lock screen on my iPhone to a photo of a message that I wrote myself.



Every time I reach for my phone - for every Tweet, Facebook check, SnapChat, email, phone call - I see this message. It helps remind me that each and every day is part of the journey. Don't think about it as having to eat healthy and exercise every day for the rest of eternity. That is daunting and more pressure than you need. But you can handle today. Just do it for today. And tomorrow, try to "just do it for today," too. My hope is that repeatedly seeing this message helps me live the way I have said I desire to live: to live in the here and now, and to be good to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment